Star Trek Into Darkness lit up the weekend box office and knocked Iron Man 3 out of first place.
J.J. Abrams' sequel to his 2009 Star Trek film earned an estimated 70.6 million dollars. It has made 84.1 million since it opened early Thursday, May 16th.
Star Trek Into Darkness was the only movie to debut in wide release last week.
After two weekends in the top spot, Iron Man 3 slipped to second place, with 35.2 million dollars. It has raked in a total of 337 million at the domestic box office and close to 1.1 billion worldwide to date.
Here are the top 10 movies from Friday, May 17th, through Sunday, May 19th, with estimated ticket sales, according to Hollywood.com:
1. Star Trek Into Darkness, $70.6 million.
2. Iron Man 3, $35.2 million.
3. The Great Gatsby, $23.4 million.
4. Pain & Gain, $3.1 million.
5. The Croods, $2.75 million.
6. 42, $2.73 million.
7. Oblivion, $2.2 million.
8. Mud, $2.16 million.
9. Peeples, $2.15 million.
10. The Big Wedding, $1.1 million.